Purchased 1880 in Florence by Charles Fairfax Murray [1849-1919] for John Ruskin [1819-1900], Brantwood, Coniston, Cumbria;  by inheritance to his cousin, Joan Ruskin Agnew Severn [1846-1924, Mrs. Arthur Severn], Brantwood; by inheritance to her husband, Joseph Arthur Pallison Severn [1842-1931], Brantwood; (sale, Sotheby's, London, 8 May 1931, no. 66); purchased by Spanish Art Gallery.  (French & Co., New York), by 1938;  purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.  E.T. Cook and Alexander Wedderburn, eds., _The Works of John Ruskin_, London, 1903-1912, volume II of the letters, p. 311.  Annotated sales catalogue reproduced in James S. Dearden, _Sales & exhibition catalogues relating to John Ruskin_, Oxford microfiche, 1981.  The work was lent by French & Co. to an exhibition at the Detroit Institute of Arts in 1938.